Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Five Reasons to Have an Abortion

A PDF tri-fold pamphlet version of this article is available here.

Are you pregnant and deciding between abortion, adoption, and raising the child? You have probably heard the arguments against abortion; here are five reasons why abortion is the right choice for everyone involved.

1. For Your Own Good


You will be happier and healthier if you abort.

2. For the Good of the Father


Think of the child's other parent.
  • The father has no choice whether to have a baby, like you have.
  • All of a sudden, he will be financially and socially responsible for a child he didn't want or plan for.
  • He may feel his life is ruined.
  • Many fathers of unwanted children commit suicide.
  • You have the power to prevent this. At some point, you cared for him enough to have sex with him; now show you really care by not drastically changing his life without his consent.


3. For the Good of the World


Your child will need food and energy, and will get it from a world that already doesn’t have enough to go around – for wildlife or people.

4. For the Good of Other Children


Giving a child up for adoption means there will be one less loving home for some other needy child.
  • Even if you are able to find a loving home for your child, giving up a child for adoption deprives another child, somewhere out there, of that very loving home.
  • Some child who would have found a great home will merely get an okay home.
  • And some child who would have gotten an okay home will be left with none.
  • This is particularly true for older or disabled children, who will not be able to compete with your newborn, presumably healthy infant.


5. For the Good of the Child


Life is NOT a precious gift.
  • A child who is never born can never suffer pain, fear, or loneliness.
  • A child who is never born can never experience death.
  • By having a child, you ensure that it will suffer during its lifetime, and that it will die.
  • A study published in the American Journal of Sociology found that 30% of children wish they'd never been born.


Carrying a pregnancy to term is NOT the morally right thing to do. Abortion is not only the less dangerous choice for the mother, it's the morally responsible choice for everyone.

If you think abortion is wrong, how about New Abortion?



Lest anyone downplay the seriousness of the physical aspects mentioned in the first section above, here is a quotation from a woman struggling with the physical consequences of pregnancy:
So I use to be hopeful. I use to think I could change my body back to semi-normal or at least into something I could accept. I know differently now. Now I know that with out surgery I will be miserable forever…. Ok maybe that’s a tad bit dramatic. What I know is that I’m currently about 40 lbs heavier than I was when I posted last. . . . I hate my body more than I ever have in my life. I don’t look at other women and think “oh she looks awful” for some reason I can totally see beauty in others but in myself? Not at all. Everyday is a challenge. As dramatic as it sounds I sometimes think about dying over it. I wouldn’t take my own life (I couldn’t do that to my children) but sometimes it seems like dying would be a nice way out… An easy way out. [Sic throughout. Emphasis mine.]

27 comments:

  1. Well done, Sister Y. That's the best pro-abortion summation I've ever read. If only it could be printed up in leaflet form and placed in family planning clinics. Can't see it happening somehow...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I have a leaflet form and I've been planning to start leaving it in public. I'll get it posted to Jim's pamphlet site pretty soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "At some point, you cared for him enough to have sex with him."

    Well, it's called horniness. Not much of a conscious decision.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe we should camp out in front of Planned Parenthood clinics and give these pamphlets out to balance out the fundies a bit? Of course, the risk of getting murdered by them would be pretty high.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also, I hadn't heard about the guy who walked into the lions' den because his GF got pregnant. Holy fucking shit. Not that that's not an appropriate reaction to the news.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Luckily I'm okay with getting murdered for a good cause. That's the power of being suicidal!

    I'm thinking just outside subway stations. I'd need to research the venue to make sure I could sue for damages if I got arrested.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's not totally fair to just assume that the father wouldn't want the child. That is surely not the case for every baby whose mother considers abortion.

    All the best,
    rob

    ReplyDelete
  8. rob, good point - I wonder what the statistics are on paternal feeling at the time of unplanned pregnancy?

    ReplyDelete
  9. A nice blending of philanthropic and self-interested concerns. Your pamphlet is up and running.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Unfortunately I have no idea where to find data about the feelings of those fathers, but it seems safe to assume that they can swing both ways.
    On the other hand there are certainly also fathers who are unhappy with even a planned pregnancy, esp. if it was planned by the mother alone.

    To combine these two points, I recently read a question in a forum where a woman asked about the best way to trick her boyfriend into unknowingly impregnating her. She assured the readers that he would doubtless by happy and that he was just afraid to make the conscious decision. At least most people told here that this would not be a good idea.

    I was then even more shocked to find out that there are people who even dare to suggest such tricks on tv.

    All the best,
    rob

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Plague DoctorJune 2, 2011 at 10:20 AM

    When will the Altruistic Reasons to Commit Suicide pamphlet be up? (JK)

    Off topic: Suicide Coaster.

    ReplyDelete
  12. sorry, you've got some pretty fucked values....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Health, happiness, prevention of suffering, fairness . . . yeah, pretty repellent values!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A study published in the American Journal of Sociology found that 30% of children wish they'd never been born.----

    You can turn that statistic around and say that over two thirds of children wished they were born--how terrible it would be to not give them a chance....

    I'm not for outlawing abortion, I do think it should be a last case option once the other options are discussed and you seem to be presenting it as the best option.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's the most humane option. If you imagine that 70% of people have good, worthwhile lives (I don't), still you must admit that none of them suffers from being ejaculated into a sock rather than born. That 30% - they suffer, so that the other folks can enjoy their cheeseburgers.

    ReplyDelete
  16. allowing suicide is a whole other debate-that does call into the autonomy of an individual to choose their own fate.

    anyways, I remember when I dared post at feministe I was called a mansplainer....

    On that note, how can you A) judge wether other people have worthwhile lives B)say that because some suffer, others should die....

    ReplyDelete
  17. A) Whether someone's life is worthwhile (whether in the sense of "worth starting" or "worth continuing") is subjective, but that does not mean they can just pull some judgment out of their ass. People's judgments suck. There are many objectively measurable forces that push them toward the "life is great" end of the spectrum, away from how they actually experience it. One can play the subjectivity card and refuse to reveal the process of life evaluation by which one came to one's conclusion, but one can't expect others to respect that as an actual data point from which to extrapolate to future lives. A starving, parasite-ridden kid in Africa may furiously deny that their life is not worthwhile; would this judgment make it more appealing to you to live that life?

    B) It is not about others having to die but about others not having to be born. "Those who are never born" do not experience the bad parts of life and have no need for the good parts of life.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice job. One problem though:
    "A PDF tri-fold pamphlet version of this article is available here." ... unfortunately links to a worthless scribd thing, demanding money. It really should be a free pdf, and a nice one, including references (the embedded links in the original as notes). IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Im going through this right now. I believe in having an abortion. It would be a good decision. As this baby grows ill get attached and want to keep it. I'm not financially stable and I want to go off to the Navy me and my girl are always arguing and its breaking us up

    ReplyDelete
  20. Is this article meant as a joke? if not, this is one of the most vile and twisted article i have ever read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not at all a joke. Why is it vile and twisted to consider the suffering a human being will necessarily experience if forcibly brought into life with no reasonable hope of escape? <3

      Delete
  21. It's interesting that the protection of wildlife is used as a pro-abortion argument here, while it is used in "Judge Nature" as an anti-life argument.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant that, in "Judge Nature", the existence of wildlife is seen as bad because it suffers.

      Delete
    2. A very good point, and I appreciate your obviously careful reading of my work! This (5 reasons etc.) was an experiment with doing a ~10th grade reading level version of my core arguments, using vocabulary and arguments I thought might be accessible to a segment of society I'm not usually speaking to - you can judge for yourself whether I succeeded. Judge Nature is more just what I actually think, written for peers.

      I love the slipperiness of arguments - in one of my J. David Velleman pieces I got all excited about how his "having choices can hurt you" argument against assisted suicide could apply in the opposite and lots more contexts!

      Delete
  22. Nice post. Very thought-provoking.

    ReplyDelete
  23. that's your values...you Pro Choice Life people are pervasively out of your stinking minds. You guys are numb and dull

    ReplyDelete
  24. love this. i am completely pro-choice, and i would definitely have no problem in posting these pamphlets at the clinics by me. thank you, Sister Y!

    ReplyDelete

Tweets by @TheViewFromHell